Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Battle: Los Angeles- Critical Review! (Part 2)

Click Here!

^^^^^^^^

Yep. Here is the continuation of my first review of something significant!
If you missed the first half, check it out! I think I did pretty well!


SETTING

Well there isn't a whole lot to talk about. It's in Los Angeles, filmed in Louisiana. I've heard people complain about that, but from what I've seen, they made the set of the movie nearly identical to actual streets in Los Angeles. So I think they did great in that category. It was the second alien invasion movie in a span in about 4 months set in Los Angeles. The other one is Skyline, and based on what I've seen, the people in charge of Skyline were working on Battle: LA, but then got pissed (for whatever reason) and started their own alien invasion in LA. Which totally sucked balls. So, Battle: LA wins this one.
Otherwise there isn't much else to be critical about the setting.


REALSIM

I give it an A- realistic wise. I'm no military expert, but I felt how they portrayed how the military would respond to aliens attacking was very accurate. They even put the actors through a crash course in Marine training. Which I thought was awesome. Make the movie even that much more realistic. They did a great job on how Marines fight, and were dead on with strategy and stuff. I'm not going to the little details that I thought were great. You can watch the opening video from the first review to see what I mean. All in all, I felt like the military portion of this movie was excellent. Which makes sense, being it a war documentary.
Now for the unrealistic parts.
Well, the aliens in general. I'm kinda split on this. I'm not really sure if I believe in them or not. The skeptic side says its way to improbable. But the kid inside of my wants them to exist, just for entertainment. I mean, I got alien invasion number one on my list for Top Ways I Want To See The World End. I think that would be totally awesome! But then again, if there were technologically advanced aliens out there, I feel like they would have found us already. Or vice versa. And I can't really think of any reason why they would come here to kill us. Coming here peacefully would make more sense. I don't think we would have any resources that they would want. Or at least travel across the galaxy to get. So if they did come, they wouldn't come here to go on a killing spree, well not probably. I want them to exist for my imagination, but my gut says no.
And mentioned before, I don't like how they portrayed their technology. Pretty much flying junk. And their ground forces lacked firepower. They had this walking missile shooter thing, but that was it. If it was a ground war we definitely would have won. Curse their air power...
Alright. Now there were about 3 distinct things that I saw in this movie that I found hilarious that they put in.
The first one is the highway scene, when they are trying to rappel the civilians away from alien advancements. One Marine is trying to secure other civilians to the rope, and, unbeknownst to the Marine, an alien sneaks around to kill them. The civilian, notices the alien, and when he couldn't get the Marine's attention fast enough, he takes matters into his own hands. He grabs a rifle from the ground, and hip shoots the alien to death, with pin point accuracy. But the alien gets on shot off, and it nails the civilian in the stomach, launching him back several feet. Now, I laughed at this part. The highly trained killers, the Marine Corps, can't seem the kill the aliens very easily in the first place, with aiming and all that. Good thing they have a Mexican civilian with them. He hip shoots the alien, and all the shots hit the target, killing it.
Good ol' realism for ya.
My second one is two different scenes. Involving grenades. The short version is that both scenes show grenades exploding in a giant fireball. What grenades that they are carrying, I freaking want.
Sure grenades, explode, but they shoot off shrapnel, not fire. One exploded next to a gas station, blowing up an alien drone. The second one was in the sewers. The second one was funny. Staff Sergeant throws a grenade down a man hole, to kill the pursuing aliens. The camera backs up, and a large plume of fire and smoke erupt from the hole. It was funny.
The third one was the ending. I loved the ending, it got me pumped up. How they showed it was just awesome. I just had a problem that we pushed the aliens back in 48 hours. They are freaking aliens. The only way that would possibly happen is if we carpet bombed then with nukes. Maybe then we could, but not within 48 hours of the initial attack. That kinda bugged me, but oh well. America's gotta win, right?
Anyway, the unrealistic things were few and far between (In my opinion), but however, I bet if you get Ian to watch it, he could pick it apart. ;)

Well that was my review of the movie!
My final PERSONAL verdict: 9/10
My professional, movie critical verdict: 6/10

Comment your opinion on it, or tell me what I missed!
Chow!




No comments:

Post a Comment